The world is a scary place right now. We’re asked not to go out unless absolutely necessary and when we do go out, it looks like a scene of The Walking Dead- the stores are empty, the streets are dead and people are panicking.
We’re reminded daily of new cases and more deaths. The culprit- COVID19. The hysteria, the lack of human interaction and the feeling of uncertainty is enough to drive me nuts!
So, how can we protect ourselves from this terrifying disease and help get rid of it? I recommend following the recommendations set out by the Center for Disease Control.
Here’s what I’m doing to protect myself and others!
This is perhaps the best way to prevent a virus from spreading. After all, how can it spread if you’re not carrying it?
It’s so hard to be isolated. Mentally, it takes a toll to sit inside the same four walls without any other human interaction. I’m realizing just how much I took for granted before. But, it has to be this way for now, in order for it to get better, quickly!
Social distancing rules to follow:
- Keep at least six feet away from anyone else. Especially if you have been travelling or have been sick.
- Stay home as much as possible.
- Avoid all large gatherings, such as church and restaurants.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, frequently. If you can’t wash your hands with soap and water, use hand sanitizer.
- If you have a cough, wear a protective mask to avoid spreading.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose.
Since all of the hand-washing is probably making your hands dry and cracked, which makes you more susceptible to infection, make sure you apply a good moisturizer, often.
Clean And Disinfect Your Home
Research shows that the coronavirus can live on surfaces like cupboards, doorknobs and stainless steel for up to three days! And, people can spread the disease days before they even show any symptoms. No wonder it’s so hard to contain.
Cleaning and disinfecting high-touch surfaces every day is key to stop the spread.
Cleaning is removing contaminants from the surface.
Disinfecting is killing pathogens that can make you ill.
It’s important to do both daily, during a pandemic.
Clean these high-touch surfaces daily:
- Remote controls
- Kitchen counters
- Kitchen cupboards and handles
- Car steering wheel
- Dining room chairs
- Light switches
- Washing machine and dryer doors
- Fridge handle
How To Clean During A Pandemic
First clean the surface to remove any dirt and debris. Then disinfect to remove germs and pathogens.
- To clean, wipe down the surface with warm, soapy water or a cleaning spray.
- To disinfect, use a disinfecting spray or wipes.
Which disinfectants kill the coronavirus? The EPA has a list of all disinfectants that kill the virus, but if a product indicates that it kills influenza, RSB or SARS, then it should kill coronavirus.
Coronavirus Cleaning Essentials:
- Disinfecting wipes such as Lysol or Clorox
- Disinfecting spray such as Purell, Clorox or Lysol
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Hydrogen peroxide
If you can’t find pre-made disinfectants in store, you can make your own.
Steph is an Amazon affiliate. This post contains links to products she recommends, and if you click through and make a purchase she will make a small commission at absolutely no cost to you!
How To Make Your Own Disinfectant Spray
- Fill a large spray bottle almost to the top with high-proof isopropyl alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol. The alcohol needs to be at least 70 percent proof in order to be effective at killing viruses.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. This helps kill the virus.
- Add a few drops of your favourite essential oils. Essential oils that have disinfecting properties include: tea tree oil, lemon oil, lavender oil and eucalyptus oil.
- Close the bottle and shake, shake, shake.
- That’s it!
Watch me make sanitizing spray:
You can get what you need delivered right to your door:
Use the homemade disinfectant like you would Lysol and feel confident that you and your family are protected.
How To Disinfect Your Devices
We’re on our laptops, cellphones and tablets all the time, so they are going to need to be cleaned and disinfected frequently during a pandemic.
To disinfect your phone and tablet:
Wipe down your phone and tablet using a disinfecting wipe or a high-proof alcohol solution. Pay extra attention to buttons. Remove the case and thoroughly wipe down the entire surface.
To disinfect your computer:
Most computer screens are not safe to use a disinfecting wipe on. So, just clean with an alcohol solution and a soft towel.
Clean and disinfect the keyboard, daily with a disinfecting wipe or alcohol solution and cloth. Carefully clean and wipe down each key, and around the keyboard.
Clean your mousepad and disinfect with a wipe as well.
Don’t forget to wipe down your remote, gaming devices etc with a disinfecting wipe as well.
If we all do our part to help stop the spread of the novel coronavirus this will all be over soon enough and we can go back to our normal lives with a little more appreciation of how great ‘normal’ really is!
For more pandemic preparedness posts, check out:
[…] CLEANING AND SANITIZING DURING A PANDEMIC […]