I recently decided to go vegan, because I want to be healthier and was getting kinda grossed out at the thought of eating animals 🤷♀️. I really thought I would have a hard time sticking to it because I’m also gluten free, so my options would be limited. But, I’m actually having a way easier time adjusting! I’m finding so many delicious recipes and let me tell you- these recipes taste like real food. You’ll know what I mean when you try it!
I’m going to try and share a recipe a week with you guys and hopefully inspire some of you to try vegan life!
There’s just so much chemicals and hormones pumped into the animals these days, I don’t want that in my body. I would not eat a tablespoon of hormone growth hormone if they paid me. So why in the actual F was I paying to eat it in my dinner?
I wanted to make a shepherd’s pie, but rather than the plain white potatoes, I thought I would use sweet potatoes because they are so much more nutritious and delicious! I also use Beyond Meat, which is so dang good I can’t even believe it! And I was able to find ground beef-style Beyond Meat and it’s perfect for tacos, meatballs, meatloaf, and shepherd’s pie!
You will not miss meat or flavour with this recipe! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 3 Medium sized sweet potatoes, cleaned, peeled and diced
- 1 package of Beyond Meat Ground Beef (or other meat alternative)
- 1 small white onion
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1/2 cup of corn
- 1 tsp of oil
- 1 tsp of steak spice (make sure it’s gf, vegan)
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup water
- Boil the diced sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes, until they are soft enough to mash.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- While you’re waiting for the sweet potatoes, heat up the oil and add the Beyond Meat (I thawed mine in the fridge for the day so it was easier to break up). Add the water and steak spice and use a fork to break up the Beyond Meat into small pieces while you cook. The Beyond Meat doesn’t fry up well without added water because it doesn’t have the grease like actual meat does.
- Add the diced onion and cook until the ‘meat’ is light brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Once the potatoes are soft, strain. Then add the butter or margarine and mash. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Now layer it in an oven dish. First add the meat mixture, then the corn and Beyond Meat and top with mash sweet potatoes.
- Put it in the oven for about 15 minutes!
- Cool and enjoy!
You can add other veggies if you’d like, such as carrots or peas! This is just what I had on hand and it was DELICIOUS!