What Is Emotional Self Care, Actual Examples & Why Is It So Important?
Your emotions affect your mindset and ultimately your life. In order to keep your mindset healthy, you’ll need to take care of your emotional health. The best way to do that is through emotional self care! So, in this blog post we will explain why you should be practicing emotional self care and some examples on how you can take better care of your emotions!
You can enhance your emotional well-being, so when you face a challenge, you’ll be more prepared to handle it!
Keeping your emotions high, raises your body’s vibrational frequency making you feel good and improving your life! One way to recharge before a busy week is to have a self care Sunday. Try this self care checklist for some new ideas.
What Is Emotional Self Care?
Emotional self care is the practice of taking care of your emotional health. It is important because if you don’t take care of your emotions, they can take care of you, and that’s not always a good thing. Emotional self care can involve anything from spending time with friends to writing in a journal.
Some examples of emotional self care include:
- Spending time with friends and family
- Going for walks outdoors
- Watching your favorite movie
- Reading a book you love
- Listening to music that relaxes you
- Writing in a journal- try these daily journal prompts
- Taking a hot bath
- Read beauty affirmations, mental health affirmations or self love affirmations
7 Ways To Practice Emotional Self Care
These self care ideas can help you care for your emotions effectively:
1. Identify your support system
Everyone experiences emotional dips in life. This is especially true when you’re making emotionally charged decisions.
• Identify friends or family members who can be the voice of reason. While your emotions are cross-wired, it helps to have a fresh set of eyes to guide you towards making a rational decision.
• It’s healthy to discuss various topics with members of your support system. It helps them see how you think in different situations. It’s also a great way to see opportunities and situations from all angles.
2. Strengthen your emotions
Don’t hide from negative feelings. Facing your emotions is the best way to overcome them. And the more you practice, the easier it becomes to stay calm during emotional circumstances.
• If you’re heartbroken, it isn’t healthy to try and pretend you’re not. Allow the emotions to come. If you feel like crying or screaming, go ahead. It will help you gain closure and a fuller understanding of your feelings.
• Try not to question why you’re feeling a certain way. Identify the source of the emotion and work at confronting it instead. Never apologize for how you feel. Your feelings are valid.
- Try using shadow work prompts to uncover your shadow self! You’ll be surprised at what you discover.
Emotional self care can help you be more productive and handle life’s stresses better. (source)
I also recommend learning more about your human design type to increase self awareness. You’ll be surprised to reveal things about yourself and understand why you are the way you are. There are 5 human design types: Manifestors, manifesting generators, generators, projectors and reflectors.
3. Celebrate YOU
There’s no better way to build emotional well-being than by celebrating your strengths. Make a list of things you are good at, including your talents and skills. Remind yourself of how resilient and powerful you are.
• Your strengths are important. They form your backbone.
• Openly acknowledging your strengths sub-consciously helps you believe in yourself. In turn, you develop a sound emotional state.
4. Practicing self love for emotional self care
Emotional strength and a positive mindset start with self love. How can you be emotionally stable when you aren’t even comfortable in your own body? True self love isn’t about physical appearance, it’s about loving and caring for your body, mind and spirit.
5. Provide support to others
This goes hand in hand with relying on your own support team. Exposing yourself to the emotions of other’s, helps you to process them better. You take things for face value. You can be impartial, fair, and just.
• When you support others, you’re required to be truthful and honest. Displaying honesty about someone else’s emotions, can help you develop the same honesty about your own.
• Helping others work through challenges can make you appreciate all sorts of emotions and build up your own emotional well-being.
6. Create a positive environment
Maintaining a positive environment is very important to your mindset and emotional health. It helps you concentrate on positive emotions and aids in the healing process. It’s so much easier to manage your own emotions when you’re surrounded by positive energy.
• Make time for activities you enjoy. Doing things you love feels good and is a simple and fun tool for developing a positive mindset.
• That positive mindset reinforces your ability to be impartial and fair. It’s tempting to be hard on yourself, especially when you’re surrounded by negative influences. By focusing on the positive, you build up your positive armour!
7. Emotional Self Care Is Setting boundaries
Take care of yourself by setting healthy boundaries. Know your limits and stick to them. Make yourself a priority and be self-aware.
Remember that we have emotions for a reason! They help you empathize with others going through similar situations and give you hope. They also help you understand what’s going on inside you.
Why Is Emotional Self Care So Important?
Why is emotional self care so important? Emotional self care is important because if you don’t take care of your emotions, they can take over and make decisions for you. Emotional self care involves anything from spending time with friends to doing yoga and setting boundaries for your own mental and emotional health.
Use these tips to create a emotional self care day. You’ll be glad you did!