Work From Home Hacks: More Productivity, Less Loneliness
Working at home is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it’s flexible and freedom but on the other it’s isolating and distracting!
I’ve always had a flexible work schedule. I’ve never been the ‘sit behind a desk type.’ But 5 years ago, I became a stay at home mom and last year, I decided to work from home. So I basically don’t leave the house unless it’s to go to the grocery store or the odd get together with family or friends. I sometimes go 4 days without talking to anyone other than my husband or daughter.
Whether you’re a stay at home mom, running a home based business, a freelancer or a blogger like myself, working from home has its challenges. Like trying to focus on work, while the housework piles up right before your very eyes (how many loads of cups and towels can one kid go through… that wasn’t meant to be a challenge).
So how do you stay focused and productive and avoid loneliness and distractions, while working from home?
Work From Home Hacks
- Socialize outside of work. If you don’t get much or any human interaction at work, socializing after work is super important for your wellbeing. It can be easy once you’ve spent so much time alone, to get used to being alone and forget that you need people in your life! Don’t let your friendships and other relationships fade away. Make the time! It’s one of those things that you don’t know how much you needed until you do it!
- Join a coworking space. This is a place where remote workers can go and work in an office environment! You can meet other people like you, network, have lunch together, brainstorm ideas etc. You can find a coworking space in most cities. Check out https://wifitribe.co/blog/find-coworking-space/ to find one near you!
- Get outside. When it’s nice out, take your laptop and head outside to work! Go to a park, lakeside or forest and set up your little office for the afternoon! It’s amazing how much better you’ll feel just being out in nature! Everything around you is alive- the grass, the birds, the trees! So you’re not really alone!
- Find your tribe! Interaction doesn’t have to be face to face. It can help just to talk to someone over the computer! Find a group of like minded homebodies and connect! Two of my favourite groups for bloggers are Bloggers Traffic Community and The Secret Tribe. There are also tons of Facebook groups for people who work from home. No one understands the struggles of working from home than other people who also work from home!
- Join a group. A book club, a fitness class, dance class, photography group, volunteer program. This forces you to make socializing a priority every week!
- Spend a few minutes tidying. Before you get down to business, spend a few minutes cleaning up the area around your work space so you won’t be so distracted by any clutter or mess.
- Clean up before bed. If you clean up the laundry and dishes before bed, you won’t feel so overwhelmed in the morning. You’ll be more driven and work-focused! How you feel in the morning, affects your entire day!
- Designate a work space. Keeping a work area set up just for work is proven to encourage productivity!
Working from home can be great, as long as you keep a balance. Get outside, socialize and join a club!